- Prepare passage plan of that area.
- Communicate with port authorities for local informations.
- Synchronise all the clocks.
- check the steering gear system when coming from long passage it should be done 2 hours before.
- If entering at day time keep all the appropriate flags positioned.
- If entering at night time check for all appropriate navigational light.
- Keep pilot ladder ready.
- Keep lifebuoy with attached rope.
- Pilot embarking or disembarking arrangement made.
- check communication to forward and after station and also to steering gear compartment.
- Check electric power supply of windlass.
- Keep pilot card ready it should be presented to the pilot as soon as he enters the wheel room of the ship.
- cargo loading and unloading plan should ready.
- Check both anchor and associated gears.
- Check mooring line and windlass.
- Check all thruster is in good order.
- Check echo sounder for working and proper standby.
Method of obtaining a table of deviations
Division is angle contained between north-south line of ships magnetic compass and Earth’s magnetic pole.
Compass deviation is caused by magnetism in ship structure.
- We know that Earth’s magnetic effect is least at the equator and increases as we proceed towards the pole so ideally ship should be at the equator.
- Ship is then steered to every 10° interval starting from 000° to 360°
- Corresponding magnetic course was noted for that every 10° interval.
- We get variation from chart of that place in which we are sailing
- DAVIATION calculated from it is tabulated . This is how we used to obtain daviation table.
Block diagram of marine Radar
Happy new year