Fallowing are the actions taken in case of gyro failure.
- Inform master, Change to 2nd gyro compass if available.
- Call Duty AB if not on bridge, Ask him to start hand steering.
- Steer vessel with magnetic compass – for that you have to change to hand steering.
- Apply the corrections required.
- In coastal waters use parallel indexing to keep the vessel on track.
- Reporting to authority about gyro failure if required.
- Check all the other equipments that have gyro feed like ARPA and ECDIS
- Once the gyro is working again you have to calibrate ARPA and ECDIS with the gyro reading.
- Reduce the speed if necessary.
- Check manuals for troubleshooting.