Content of muster list:
- Vessel name / IMO number
- Emergency duties of all crew and personnel onboard
- General and emergency alarms
- person responsible for LSA/FFA maintenance
- Substitutes for person in-charge ( if incapacitated )
- Masters signature & Location of Muster station and SOPEP gears
- Special duties in case of emergency and abandon ship
- Format to be approved by the flag state
- All emergency alarm and signals.
- The action to be taken by the crew and passengers.
- Where appropriate, communication equipment, channels and reporting chain to be used during an abandonment or other emergency should be specified.
- The means by which the order to abandon ship is to be given.
- The duties to be carried out by each member of the ship’s complement in an emergency. Such duties include:
- The preparation, swinging out or deploying of survival craft and other life-saving appliances,
- The closing of watertight and fire doors, and all other openings such as skylights, portholes and side scuttles and any openings in the hull.
- Duties in connection with fire-fighting, the use of communication equipment and the equipping of survival craft.
- Persons assigned for survival craft or launching station.
- This provision of substitutes must be shown on the muster list and may be a detailed list or in the form of a general statement such as “Should key persons become disabled, those next in line, as appropriate, should take their place”.
- The muster list must show the name or rank of the officers whose duty is to ensure that the life-saving and fire-fighting appliances are maintained in a condition to be always ready for use.
read more from this chapter at