Dunnage are used for following purpose
Dunnge is loose wood, matting, or similar material used to keep a cargo in position in a ship’s hold. This is not the only reason we use dunnage but we have so many uses of dunnage like
- They ensure sufficient clearance from deck and sides to prevent contact between contact between cargo and cooling pipes.
- Also protects from any moisture formation to contaminate the cargo.
- Provide support to the cargo, and also keeps cargo rigid at there place.
- To prevent damage to bottom tier by over stowed cargo.
- It also helps in unobstructed circulation of cooled air below, around, through the cargo.
- If can also provide some insulation from the surrounding .
- In case different temperatures are being maintained in the adjoining compartment it will prevent from sweat.