Flooding, especially of the engine room is dangerous, as it can affect the entire life support system of the ship. The following should be considered as a general plan of action, with suitable modifications to suit the actual type of ship involved:
- Stopping engines and sounding the general alarm
- Checking soundings of all double bottom spaces, cofferdams etc.
- Closing all water-tight doors
- Assessing hull damage and stability
- Assessing possible effects of the flooding on the cargo
- Preparing boats for launching and other necessary actions
In cases of water ingress or flooding of a compartment, a flooding checklist should be followed and a proper investigation should be carried out to determine the safety of the ship.