Each Engine is given a EIAPP Certificate (NOx Technical Code 2008)
Each Ship is given a IAPP Certificate
EIAPP = Engine International Air Pollution Prevention
IAPP = International Air Pollution Prevention
Certificate is Valid for 5 years with intermediate surveys
Documents that will be checked to verify compliance to NOx emission
(1) Technical File = This document is prepared by the engine manufacturer and contains information about components/spare parts with IMO markings & engine parameters
(ii) Record Book = This is a document for recording all parameter of the Engine, details of changing of spare parts / components & engine settings that may influence NOx emissions
If the parameter / component / spare parts / settings do not match with Technical file or record book then the survey may include physical measurement of NOx emissions
Sulphur Oxides (SOx) & Particulate Matter (PM)
SOx Gases causes “Acid Rain”.
SOx gases are formed from sulphur present in Fuel Oil
Sulphur Emission Control Area
Baltic Sea (SOx), North Sea (SOx), English Channel (SOx), North America ECA (SOx, PM), United State Caribbean Sea ECA (SOx, PM)
- Sulphur level in Fuel <5 % (0.5 % after 2020) (outside SECA)
- Sulphur level in Fuel < 1 % for SECA
Alternatively an exhaust gas cleaning system (scrubbers) can be used to reduce sulphur level in the exhaust, when high sulphur fuel is used
Regulations – VOC [Volatile Organic Compounds ] emissions from Incinerator Exhaust
- Incinerator must have a manufacturers operations manual.
- Personnel should be trained to operate & should follow operations manual
Following substances are prohibited from incineration:
- Annex I, II and III cargo residues and related packing material.
- (Poly Chlorinated Biphenyls)
- Garbage containing heavy metals.
- Petroleum Products containing halogens.
– PVC (Polyvinyl chlorides) can only be incinerated in type approved incinerators.
– Exhaust gas cleaning system residues
- Flue gas temperatures shall be monitored and should not be less than 8500C for continuous feed and should reach 6000C within 5 minutes for batch feed.