Navigation in coastal water
- Plan ahead before taking over the watch.
- Check the track, compass error and course.
- Check compass error at least once a watch.
- Make keeping a lookout the priority
- Assess the risk of collision and take action if necessary.
- Fix ships position at regular interval if practicable.
- Fixed more frequently in confined water.
- Call the master before a potentially dangerous situation becomes critical.
- Observe the change in the weather.
- Study the chart and expect to find new landmarks before they are seen.
- Maintain situational awareness, particularly if the ship has to deviate widely to avoid traffic.
- Be prepared to use engine if necessary to ensure adequate see room.
- Be prepared to call a lookout to the bridge if necessary.
- Be prepared to call helmsman to bridge if necessary.
- Keep track of UKC
- Be aware of ships draft and UKC
- Be aware of the ship’s stability
- Be aware of the E.R status