Nature of job at sea.
- Sailors work on ships like tankers and passenger ship and are responsible for repairing, stowing and preparing most deck equipment, such as
- Cargo handling gears
- handling ships mooring lines
- At sea, they stand watch and navigate the vessel.
- Sailors must be qualified to take charge of lifeboat, Crew and be familiar with fire safety and fire fighting equipment’s location.
- Sailor with less experience also known as ordinary seamen perform routine maintenance work. They scrub deck area and clean crew quarters, Operate winches etc.
- Ordinary seamen may also take over able seamen’s steering and lookout duties.
- Other then safety duties and navigation of ship they are also responsible for Safety of cargo.
- The Job at sea is considered difficult as it demands both physical and mental alertness and any wrong action of the crew can be fatal.