Starting a Gyro Compass.
1) Refer to the manufacturer’s manual and follow the procedure stepwise.
2) Make a preparation at least four hours before the compass is required for service.
3) Check that all supply switches are open.
4) Adjust the Latitude and Speed setting accordingly.
5) Switch on an alternator and wait for 10 seconds until it gains full speed.
the compass will settle faster in Port then at sea also depends on how much the gyro axel was out of Meridian.
6) Test the alarm switch on the alarm panel.
Stopping gyro compass.
1) Open repeater switch.
2) Open the azimuth motor switch.
3) Switch off the alternator and lock the rotor.