Section – A
1. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of Scientific Management theory.
2. Case Study:
The Captain, The 3rd Officer and the Misunderstanding.
On board the M.V. Vishva Pratap, the 3rd Officer just joined the ship a few days before sailing. The Captain took over command on the day the ship sailed from Mumbai. A day after sailing, the Captain called for a safety committee meeting. During the meeting, the Captain asked the 3rd Officer to apprise him about the safety equipment under his charge. To his surprise, the 3rd Officer hadn’t a clue about the equipment under his charge, and he had no answers. The Capt. visibly annoyed said “Gentlemen, you have just seen an example of a careless officer, and there is no excuse for it!”. ( The Capt was initially not aware that the 3rd Officer had just joined the ship, and he was informed by the Chief Officer after the meeting.)
The next day, the Capt called the 3rd Officer and apologized for what he said to the 3rd Officer in public.
1. What do you think was the effect of the Capt’s outburst on the 3rd Officer?
2. Was it necessary for the Capt to apologize?
3. What would it be like to work under this Capt?
4. What would be the effect had the Capt not apologized?
3. What are the basic principles of Andrew Carnegie’s “The Gospel of wealth?”
Section – B
Commercial Shipping Management
4. (a) What are the factors that give rise to International trade?
How does shipping facilitate the trade?
(b) Elaborate on various functions of Bill of Lading.
5. (a) Elaborate on cost structure of a shipping owning company.
(b) Elaborate on the factors that are taken in to consideration when deciding on location of a Port.
6. (a) Make a comparison between ‘Time charter’ and ‘Voyage charter’.
(b) Explain how shipping contributes in economic development of a Nation.
7. (a) Discuss the factors that are taken in to consideration while deciding the freight.
(b) What different methods of unitisation of cargo? Explain how unitisation contributes
for benefit of trade.