- Containers should be placed preferably in fore aft direction.
- Safe passage should not get blocked.
- Containers should be secured such that bottom corners are prevented from sliding. And top corner to prevent toppling.
- Securing should not be done in such a way that containers extend over ships side.
- Deck containers should be carried at single height , with the use of twist locks this height may be increased.
- No restraint system should cause excessive stress on container.
- Throughout voyage keep checking lashing is tight and sound.
- When loading of container is done on hatch cover, these hatch covers should be secured to ship .