- Introduce yourself
- CBD signal
- Geographical range, Nominal Range, Luminous Range
- Crossing Situation
- Marpol Annex (iv)
What would you use to determine a risk of collision?
Compass, radar and visual bearings (visual bearings being the most reliable)
Why we keep Radar on 12 miles?
(a) For early detection of targets.
What are the dangers with radar plotting?
Time is being wasted and could put your vessel into a collision course.
What 4 actions can you take to avoid a collision?
- Early and bold alteration of course, as long as you do not put your vessel into another close quarter situation/risk of collision with another vessel
- Slow your vessel down
- Stop your vessel
- Come astern with your vessel
If you’re unsure about what to do in a situation, what’s the best thing to do?
Slow your vessel down, best to stop your vessel altogether.
What side of the narrow channel would you keep?
The starboard side of the narrow channel as long as your vessel is in safe water.
Are you allowed to cross a narrow channel?
Yes, as long as you do not impede any vessel using the narrow channel.
How do you join a lane?
At the start of a lane or at a small an angle as possible to the lane.
What vessels can use the traffic separation zone?
Fishing vessels, anchor for emergency repairs, crossing vessels, to avoid immediate danger, to lay submarine cables or to do repairs to buoys within the scheme.
What distance would you say is well past and clear?
At least 4 miles.
If you’re in any vessel and any vessel is overtaking you what would you do?
Stand-on with caution keeping your course and speed.
If you are in a fishing vessel, then you have to give way to 4 vessels, name them?
- A fishing vessel on your starboard bow
- A vessel not under command
- A vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver
- If the circumstances of the case admit, a vessel constrained by her draught.
What would you sound if you disagreed to be overtaken in a narrow channel?
You’d sound 5 or more short and rapid blasts on the ship’s whistle, you can also flash a light 5 or more times.
A vessel engaged in Pilotage duties, what is his identity signal?
He may sound 4 short and rapid blasts on the ship’s whistle.
May he sound the identity signal when vessels are in sight of one another?
No, this is only to be sounded in Restricted Visibility.
A Short Blast – How long does it last for?
A Prolonged Blast – How long does it last for?
A vessel at anchor (Over 100 metres), what is his fog signal?
A rapid ringing on the bell for 5 (forward) seconds, then A rapid ringing on the gong (aft) for 5 seconds at intervals not exceeding 1 minute
- What is SART?
- Procedure for Entry in Enclosed space?
- How will you lower a lifeboat?
- How will you start an EPIRB?
- What is the use of Load line marks? How many Load line marks are present on the ship?
- What is Rational Horizon? Zenith?
- Rule number 6
- ROR Condition
- Types of Fire fighting system and was asked to explain about Fixed CO2 System.
- Head-on situation?
- Favorite sports?
- Use of Load line mark?
- Tell me about yourself
- Types of Fixed Firefighting System?
- ROR Rule number 6
- Rule 5
- What is Azimuth?
The following questions were asked in the Chennai campus in the year 2018. 3 Interviewer taking interview of 2 candidates at a time.
- You are rich you will leave this field soon?
- Tell me about Epirb
- How will you start a Sart?
- Entry in Enclosed space
- What is the use of load line?
- Tell me about yourself
- What is an Epirb?
- What is a Sart?
- Why did you join merchant navy?
These questions were asked from Debendra from IMU Chennai Campus in the year 2017.
- Any Sports event next Month?
- Favorite Sports?
- What does your father do?
- Favorite Subject?
- What is the angle of loll?
- The TimeZone of India?
- Magnetic compass?
- Gyro compass?
- Errors in Magnetic Compass?
- Difference between Safe working load and load density?
- Where is LA?
- How Variation and Deviation changes?
- What is latitude?
- What is timezone?
These Questions were asked from Markanday Singh in 2017.
- What is FWA?
- How Deviation and Variation changes?
- What is GP?
- Explain GP
Questions Asked from JD Bose
The interview started Directly from Technical questions. Interview lasts for about 40-55 min.
- What is TRS and how it moves?
- What is Frontal depression draw its diagram.
- Nautical Almanac. (Similar questions as asked from other candidates)
- Rope Work
After this, some HR questions were asked.
- Tell me about your family
- why you joined Merchant Navy
- why no achievements, sports (As he left the column of achievement and sports blank)
Some More Technical Questions
- Cardinal marks
- Mer pass